Please contact us if you have any questions about shooting in Norway. Still, on this page you will find a list of good-to-know’s that might be convenient to look at before or when you choose Norway as location for your production.

  • supervisor_account Crew and Overtime

    Hours and rates

    Working hours for a feature film shooting day is normally 10 hours: 7,5 normal hours, 0,5 hours for lunch and 2 hours at 50% overtime. This is when the working day start between 07.00 and 10.00. The normal work period goes from 6AM to 9PM when working on location or shooting exteriors. In a studio the normal work period is between 07:00 and 18:00.

    When working night hours the time between 9PM and midnight is compensated with 50%, and nighttime between midnight and 6AM is compensated with 100%.


    Weekdays Monday to Friday after 7,5 hours + 0,5 hours lunch, you will have to pay overtime as follows:

    3 first hours: + 50%

    3 next hours: + 100%

    For more than 6 hours of overtime: + 200%

    Saturdays the first 10 hours is 50%, and the next hours 200%

    Sundays the first 10 hours 100%, and the next hours 200%

    The turnaround is 10 hours of rest, but less when compensated 200% overtime.


    Rates are daily and vary depending on the experience of the crew (depending on 0, 3, 6 and 10 years in the business). Fringes are set at 26% if the crew member is employed, and at 20% if the crew member has her/his own company. Please note: Crew members that are members of the Norwegian Film Union will receive an additional 2% pension plan on their fringes.

    A couple of rates will give you an overview of current rates:

    A production manager with 10 years experience: NOK 3489

    A gaffer with 10 years experience: NOK 2317

    A Production Assistant: NOK 1300


    Allowances are set as follows:

    Breakfast: NOK 67

    Lunch: NOK 268

    Dinner: NOK 335

    “Soda money”: NOK 80

    Mileage: NOK 4,05 per km.

  • info Medic Personnel

    Nordic Location collaborate with medic personnel strategically located around Norway to ensue cost efficient travel costs for medic crew.

    Some of our medic crew are trained in high mountain rescue operations, rope access, steep ascent/descent rescue.

    Free of charge:

    Helicopter Rescue Service ensue safety both on ground and sea. From 6 bases along the coast of Norway, the rescue helicopter is quick to respond to accidents, shipwrecks or other life threatening situations.

    Norway Alpine Rescue Team is stand-by in case of emergency. This specialized group of emergency personnel will help out in extreme alpine rescue operations.

  • videocam Norwegian Drone Rules (RPAS)

    Norway has since January 1st of 2017 had quite strict RPAS-laws. This means that you need to be registered in the RPAS-register of the Norwegian Civil Aviation Authority, and also have spesific RPAS-insurance to operate your drone commercially.

    The general RPAS-rules can be summarized into a max altitude of 120m (400 feets), and you must allways be able to see your drone with your eyes (VLOS – Visual Line of Sight). You have to keep a safe distance of at least 150m from groups of people, and 50m from singel persons.

    The Aviation Civil Authority operates with three different kinds of licenses, RO1, RO2 and RO3 for RPAS-pilots wanting to operate commercially.

    The Norwegian Aviation Department has written some information about the rules in English on their webpage.

    RO1: This license only needs that you make a declaration to the Norwegian Aviation Department about that you are starting a drone-operation. You need to fill out a declaration form, a Operation Manual (OM), and have a valid insurance. Then you email it all to the email on the declaration form, and will get a confirmation. Then you are good to go! As of now, being a registered RO1 dronepilot is free of charges.

    With RO1 you are allowed to fly drones up to 2,5kg in VLOS (Visual Line of Sight), with a max altitude of 120m, 150m from groups of people, and 50m from single persons. You are only allowed to fly between sunrise and sunset.

    RO2 and RO3: For both RO2 and RO3 you will need to take an exam in Norway about the drone rules, and you have to make your own Operation Manual. The formal approval process after passing the exam will take approximately between 4 and 8 weeks, and there is also a fee on both the exam and the approval process.

    If you wish to fly drones with a weight above 2,5kg (like the DJI Inspire), the best solution is to hire a Norwegian dronepilot and drone.

    Because of the way the insurance is organized, Norwegian pilots are not allowed to fly others drones. Each insurance is linked to specific serial number of the drone.

    You can see the lastet updated list of approved RPAS-operators in Norway here!

  • description Permits

    The “freedom to roam” act allows for easy permit processes when filming outdoors. In general local police and municipalities are very cooperative, and local mayors – and citizens – are rolling out red carpets rather than red tape when welcoming film shoots to their municipalities.

    On a general basis it is not a problem to close roads, you are often met with willingness from local municipalities and police, and often you can have your own traffic control. However, this depends on which area you are shooting in.

    Filming on private property requires a permit either from the owner or from city authorities. A permit from the police is needed if the filming requires special traffic arrangements (i.e. re-routing or stopping traffic).

    Regulations apply for motorized transport (helicopter, snow cats, snow mobiles et.c.) in the wilderness,  mountains and national park areas. Allow for some planning time to work out logistics with a line producer or location manager who knows the area. Applications are sent directly to the respective municipalities, and/or to the national parks.

  • schedule Rush Hours

    All major cities have a mild rush hour between: 7am-10am & 3pm-5pm.

    In general, there is little rush hours in Norway and outside the major cities, little traffic in general.

    Good to know:

    In Norway the cars drive on the right hand side and give way to oncoming traffic from the right.

    Outside the east coast of Norway, the road infrastructure is demanding. Both National and State roads are scattered with tunnels, bridges and ferries.

    Driving 100 km can take 2 hours. Be careful to check the actual driving time from A to B and make sure the timetable on the ferry is up to date.

  • android Shooting with Animals

    Pet handlers are possible to book in most Norwegian cities.

    Wild life animals can in some cases be obtained. Example: Reindeer and deers.

    Norway have strict regulations on animal welfare. All animals must be handled with care.

  • swap_vertical_circle Traffic Control / Road Blocking

    All film or commercials shooting on roads need permits. Most roads are possible to block. Permit is granted by Statens Vegvesen. On major roads or city streets the police help us regulate the traffic. On smaller roads, specialized companies with traffic controllers are sufficient.

  • assignment_ind VISA

    Norway is a member of the Schengen Area. As a general rule, everyone who wishes to work in Norway must have a work permit. However, separate rules apply for applicants from EU/EEA/EFTA countries, and Nordic citizens (from Iceland, Denmark, Sweden and Finland) are fully exempt from the requirement to obtain a work permit.

    Citizens of European Union (EU), citizens covered by the European Economic Area (EEA) agreement and citizens covered by the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) convention have easier access to travel and reside in Norway. As a citizen of the EU/EEA/EFTA, you can freely travel to Norway and start working as soon as you arrive. You can live and work in Norway for up to three months without having to apply for a permit. If you are seeking employment in Norway, you may reside in Norway for six months without a permit.

    Where to apply

    A visa application must be made on the form for the purpose, and submitted in person to the nearest Norwegian foreign service mission. If there is no Norwegian foreign service mission in the country, another Schengen country may represent Norway. This country will then process the application on behalf of Norway.

    Some service missions, example given India, have outsourced the handling of VISA applications. Please follow this link to the Norwegian foreign service missions. More information and guidelines at Norwegian Directorate of Immigration.